Robert A. Sellards, MD, FAAOSBoard Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
Fellowship-Trained in Sports Medicine
Robert A. Sellards, MD, FAAOS
Dr. Sellards specializes in the treatment of a variety of orthopaedic conditions and performs several orthopaedic procedures, including:
- Sports Medicine
- Muscle Sparing Joint Replacement
- Cartilage Restoration
About Robert A. Sellards, MD, FAAOS
Dr. Robert Sellards specializes in Sports Medicine, caring for both young and mature athletes. He routinely performs arthroscopic rotator cuff and labral repairs of the shoulder, anatomic ACL reconstruction of the knee, and knee cartilage reconstruction. He also focuses on the care of the mature athlete by performing muscle sparing knee, hip, and shoulder replacements. His goal is to keep patients active throughout their lifetime.
Dr. Sellards has a Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. This CAQ is for board certified orthopaedic surgeons who have demonstrated qualifications in Sports Medicine beyond those expected of other orthopaedic surgeons. Qualifications include additional training, a practice characterized by a majority of cases in sports medicine, and contributions to this field.
Dr. Sellards received his undergraduate studies at Oglethorpe University in Atlanta, GA. He attended medical school at the Medical College of Georgia and completed his Orthopedic Residency at LSU in New Orleans, LA. After residency, he completed a Sports Medicine Fellowship at Rush-Presbyterian St. Luke’s Hospital in Chicago, IL.
Dr. Sellards was the Chief of Sports Medicine for 5 years at the LSU School of Medicine. He was also Program Director for the Orthopaedic Residency at LSU. He is currently a Clinical Assistant Professor for the FSU College of Medicine and an Assistant Professor for the LSU School of Medicine.
Dr. Sellards is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, and the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. He routinely teaches and lectures nationally on the treatment of sports injuries. He has served as team physician for the University of New Orleans, medical director of the NCAA Division 1 men’s basketball championship and women’s volleyball championship, medical director of the New Orleans bowl, medical director of the AAU championship, and the Jefferson Parish Football Medical Director.
Dr. Sellards also stays very active in his spare time, participating in diving, improvisational acting, road cycling, triathlons, volleyball, mixed martial arts, and snowboarding.
- Undergraduate: Oglethorpe University, Atlanta, GA
- Medical: Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: LSU Department of Orthopaedics, New Orleans, LA
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical, Chicago, IL
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Medical Association
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Louisiana Orthopaedic Association
- Greater New Orleans Orthopaedic Society
- Mid-America Orthopaedic Association
- Louisiana State Medical Society
- Florida Orthopaedic Society